Finding STEP a Home
We are really pleased to confirm the West Burton site, in North Nottinghamshire, has been selected as the future home for the STEP prototype fusion energy plant, bringing to a conclusion the siting process that has been running since December 2020.
STEP will be a major infrastructure project that will provide a significant catalyst to the supply chain across the UK, as well as demonstrating fusion energy can provide net energy to the grid.
We look forward to working with stakeholders and communities across the region to develop our ambitious plans and realise broader social and economic benefits in the months and years ahead.
West Burton was one of five sites on the shortlist, the others were:
- Ardeer, North Ayrshire, nominated by Fusion Forward
- Goole, East Yorkshire, nominated by East Riding of Yorkshire Council
- Moorside, Cumbria, nominated by the Cumbria Local Enterprise Partnership
- Severn Edge, South Gloucestershire/Gloucestershire, nominated by the Western Gateway
- West Burton, Nottinghamshire, nominated by Nottinghamshire County Council
For more information, please visit –
If you have any questions about the programme, please Get in Touch